There are people who start off the month of January with healthy meal recipes and then there are others gearing up for the big football game. As you can see I’m definitely heading in the direction of fun food and drinks for all fans. These Southwestern Egg Rolls won’t disappoint any of your guests and it will leave them asking you for the recipe.
We typically don’t make a lot of fried foods but when I do it’s because it elevates the recipe to where it needs to be. Yes, you can bake these egg rolls but my personal preference is to fry these babies up.
This past year I traveled to Sabra headquarters and made my own Mexican spiced hummus. I wanted these Southwestern Egg Rolls to mirror that recipe because I loved it so much. I started by adding some Classic Sabra Hummus to the middle of the egg roll to serve as the beans. Then mixed together some chicken, bell pepper, jalapeno, corn, spices and cilantro to go on top of the hummus. I couldn’t forget some shredded Mexican cheese before rolling it all up. It took less than 1 minute in the dutch oven and it was ready for serving time.
You can make these ahead of time and fry before the party or store fried ones in refrigerator and then broil in oven right before serving time.
Enter Sabra’s Buy, Snap, Score promotion! If you buy Sabra or Stacy’s chip products before 2/15/06 you can get a $5.00 gift card. Confirm your purchases at http://dipzone.com/
ENJOY ~ Meagan
- 1 cup whole kernel corn
- 1 cup diced bell pepper
- 1 jalapeno, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 cups chopped rotisserie chicken
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 16 egg roll wrappers
- 10 ounce container Sabra Classic Hummus
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- In a bowl combine corn, bell pepper, jalapeno, rotisserie chicken, spices and cilantro.
- In a small bowl whisk together the egg and water.
- Pour vegetable oil into a large dutch oven and bring to a medium heat. Lay out the egg roll wrappers and spread 1 tablespoon of hummus in the center. Top with two spoonfuls of the chicken and vegetable mixture and then 1 tablespoon of cheese.
- Roll the wrapper once and then fold the sides in and then finish rolling. Using a brush dab the egg roll securing all the edges together with the egg wash.
- Place in the dutch oven and cook for 30 seconds on each side or until golden brown. Repeat until all egg rolls are made.
*Leftover hummus can be used as a dip.
Disclosure: I am a Sabra Tastemaker and have been compensated for this post. Thank you for all your support on the brands that I love and support.