Stepping out my front door I can look down the street to see Christmas lights hanging from the rooftops in the middle of November. We haven’t even celebrated Thanksgiving but people are prepping early this year for Christmas. It truly seems that each year the excitement comes earlier and earlier and we seem to rush by the other great holidays. Stores start prepping in July and once Halloween is over everyone is breaking out the red and green.
Yes, I am already buying Christmas presents because as a new mom I don’t really want to fight the rush. I have no problem pushing the buy button on my iPhone to purchase presents for the family in my lounge pants and nursing top.
As the holidays approach people are often thinking about edible Christmas gifts or cookie exchanges. My friend Laurie from Simply Scratch just came out with her own Simply Scratch cookbook. It has 120 easy homemade recipes that are made from scratch. I decided to put my love for cookies to the test by making her Salted Pistachio Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies from the book.
This book has you covered with homemade sauces, aiolis, soups, entrees and lots of fun desserts. You can find this newly released Simply Scratch cookbook on Amazon for a great price. Laurie I’m so proud of you and the accomplishment of such a great cookbook that people can use with their families.
I’m also giving the chance for one A Zesty Bite reader the chance to win the Simply Scratch Cookbook. It’s the perfect time to receive this cookbook before Christmas arrives. Just leave a comment letting me know you would like to receive the cookbook. You must be a US citizen to enter and the winner will be randomly chosen on November 27th!
ENJOY ~ Meagan
Salted Pistachio Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- 2¼ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 2⁄3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 ounces dark chocolate (I use 60% cacao), chopped
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped pistachios
- 1 tablespoon flaky sea salt, or more to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and both sugars on medium-low speed for 2 to 3 minutes or until fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing after each addition. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl after each egg. Add the vanilla and blend until combined.
- With the mixer running on low speed, gradually add the flour mixture and mix until the flour is incorporated. Add the chopped dark chocolate and pistachios to the batter. Mix on low until combined, scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl one last time.
- Using a 2-tablespoon scoop, scoop out the cookie dough onto the prepared baking sheets, spacing the scoops an inch or so apart. Sprinkle them with a small pinch of sea salt.
- Bake the cookies for 8 to 10 minutes, rotating the baking sheets halfway through. Let the cookies cool slightly, 2 to 3 minutes, before using a spatula to transfer them to a wire rack to finish cooling.
Reprinted from Simply Scratch by arrangement with Avery Books, a member of Penguin Group (USA) LLC, A Penguin Random House Company. Copyright © 2015, Laurie McNamaraAll images and text © .