Every Friday night I go to bed just hoping that I get to sleep in the next morning. Whether it’s 15 or 30 minutes I would take anything on the weekends. However it never fails that one of the kids wakes up scared, needs to go potty or baby is hungry I never get that extra time that I think I need.
This weekend the kids were waking up left and right needing different things. So I looked forward to naps this weekend but with different schedules my nap times also got put on the back burner.
7 o’clock rolls around and I roll out of bed. Baggy eyed and I make it to the coffee machine to help get me going. After trying to keep my eyes open for the next few minutes I can’t help but think about breakfast. Kids begging for pancakes, pop tarts, toast or donuts but I want something more comforting. Like I’ve said before I absolutely love a good breakfast casserole and this Chile Relleno Sausage Casserole did the trick this weekend.
You can even prep the night before so you have less prep time in the morning and you can get right to the baking portion of it. This casserole is a family favorite and is usually seen around the holidays when people are gathering for brunch. With the help of coffee and this Chile Relleno Sausage Casserole I was able to push my tiredness aside for the time being. Until next weekend…
ENJOY ~ Meagan
Chile Relleno Sausage Casserole
- 1 pound breakfast sausage
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 eggs
- 3 cans (4oz. each) green chilies, whole
- 1/2 lb. Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded
- 1/2 lb. Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 8 oz. tomato sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium sauce pan cook sausage until brown.
- Combine milk, flour and eggs in large bowl and stir until smooth; then add sausage.
- Drain the chilies, and cut into long strips. Place half of the chilies into a casserole dish. Combine the cheese into a small bowl; then place half of the mixture on top of the green chilies. Pour half of the egg mixture on top of the cheese and repeat the steps.
- Top it off with the tomato sauce and bake in the oven for 1 hour 30 minutes or until knife inserted comes out clean.