I have and always will be a huge fan of whole grains. It was in my diet growing up and now I will instill my knowledge to my daughter. A couple months ago I was asked to be a whole grain brand ambassador for Whole Grain Sampling Day. Here are some whole grain recipes to help celebrate today.
I received a generous jam-packed box full of whole grain goodies plus a shirt. Giveaway below for one A Zesty Bite reader to win the same box.
What is a whole grain?
If you remove the bran and germ portion then the grain is refined. However, it is now missing two-thirds of many essential nutrients. A whole grain will consist of all three parts.
The next time you are at the store be sure to look for the following stamps on your food packages to see if they are whole grain.
Some fun facts about whole grains from the Whole Grain Council:
- 81% of Americans say they’re trying to eat more whole grains
- Corn has almost twice the antioxidant activity of apples, while wheat and oats almost equal broccoli and spinach in health – protective antioxidant activity.
- Eating an average of 2.5 servings of whole grain foods each day can lower your risk of cardiovascular disease by almost one-quarter.
- Three servings a day of whole grains cuts blood pressure, reducing stroke risks by 15-20%, according to a 2010 study from Scotland.
GIVEAWAY TIME: You must be living in the United States and over the age of 18. I will randomly draw a winner on April 7th. If the winner hasn’t responded within 24 hours another winner we be selected from the comments.
- Leave a comment saying what whole grains you like
- Follow A Zesty Bite on Facebook and leave a comment saying you did
- Follow A Zesty Bite on Twitter and leave a comment saying you did
Disclosure: I received a selection of whole grain products to sample but was not compensated for this post. All opinions are 100% my own.
A huge thank you to all of the 2014 Whole Grain Sampling Day Sponsors who participated in the bloggers box.
Among Friends, Attune Foods, Barbara’s Bakery, Bob’s Red Mill, Carl Brandt/Mestemacher, ConAgra Mills, Dr. Kracker, Freekehlicious, Goose Valley Natural Foods, HomeFree Treats, Jovial Foods, Late July, Lotus Foods, Mary’s Gone Crackers, Mondelez, Pamela’s Products, Panos/Sesmark, Popsalot Gourmet Popcorn, Real McCoy’s Snax, Roman Meal, Rhythm Superfoods, Teeccino, Upfront Foods, Way Better Snacks.